My US Congress representative has stated that he recommends against using an
existing federal grant for alternative energy development in Western
Massachusetts for biodiesel development because he says it takes more energy
(or nearly
the same energy) to collect and convert biodiesel than it yields when it is
used. This representative is a scientist, but I am lacking detailed energy
studies that prove anything else. I have referred to the NBB website and the
University of Iowa studies that talk about the embodied energy in biodiesel,
where
gains of approximately 3.2 times the energy investment when the biodiesel is
used. However, there is no corresponding study for yellow grease based
biodiesel!

My preliminary study shows there is an approximately 7 fold energy gain for
waste based biodiesel, but this is not a formal calculation. Does anyone know
the methodology used for the other studies on ethanol, soy biodiesel, or other
fluids, so it can be transferred to yellow grease biodiesel?   I hope everyone
realizes how important this would be to the development of a new, regional
based refinery.

Tom Leue

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: