http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-5117756,00.html
Guardian Unlimited | World Latest | Schwarzenegger Urges Global Warming Action
Schwarzenegger Urges Global Warming Action

Monday July 4, 2005 6:16 PM

AP Photo NY109

By The Associated Press

LONDON (AP) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is urging governments - including that of President Bush - to face up the reality of global warming.

``The debate is over,'' he wrote in Britain's Independent on Sunday newspaper. ``We know the science. We see the threat posed by changes in our climate. And we know the time for action is now.''

Schwarzenegger, a Republican, did not mention Bush by name, but called on ``governments everywhere'' to join action to combat climate change. He contradicted Bush's claims that taking action will damage the U.S. economy.

Climate change is one of the major issues expected to be discussed at the upcoming Group of Eight summit at the Gleneagles resort in Scotland.

Schwarzenegger has vowed to make California a leader in the battle against global warming, calling on the state to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases while increasing use of renewable energy.

``Global warming threatens California's water supply, public health, agriculture, coastlines and forests - our entire economy and way of life,'' Schwarzenegger wrote.