In the mid-Atlantic area where I live, it's sad to see prime agricultural land being turned into tracts for subdivisions, malls, and McMansions, the latter of which often have acres of lawn that must be cut, fertilized, etc., for no good purpose.

Unfortunately the market doesn't capture the long-term value of that land, which may be needed in the future for biofuel production, agricultural production close to urban areas (as food transportation costs increase), etc.   We as individuals seem to vote with our dollars for development (and even second homes) rather than investing in the future by purchasing easements for that land.   And we as a body politic can't seem to work together through our elected representatives to make long term, rather than short term and short sighted decisions.

I don't know the answer.