Hi Keith,

>>I used to visit friends in Negros in the mid-80's
>>and saw how they were trying to cope with the
>>changed situation. It was so bad that the Maoist
>>New People's Army (NPA) were making inroads into
>>the Provincial Capital, Bacolod City. I had friends
>>who had sugar farms, and a couple of them were
>>involved in armed encounters with the NPA. We used
>>to go around Bacolod City packing .45's in a pickup
>>truck with 2 or 3 bodyguards armed with M-16's
>>sitting in the bed for backup. It was really tense
>>then.

>I also had to do that, but I wasn't quite sure just
>who it was that should be shot, probably not the NPA.

The NPA is the armed group of the Communist Party of
the Philippines (CPP), currently led by Jose Maria
Sison who is in the Netherlands now. The CPP is an
offshoot of the old Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas
(PKP) which they broke off from in the 60's in a
bitter and messy split. That's why I was tense
whenever I visited Negros then. :-)

My grandfather, Vicente Lava, Sr., studied in New York
University in the early 1900's, getting his Ph.D. in
Chemistry there. He also joined the Communist Party of
America. Upon his return to the Philippines, the PKP
was set up and he was one of the earliest Party
General Secretaries. During the Japanese Occupation in
WWII, their armed group, the HUKBALAHAP (Huks for
short) composed of peasants, workers, and
intellectuals, controlled large portions of the island
of Luzon and enforced a land reform program and the
big landlords of the time couldn't visit their
properties.

When the American Forces returned to the Philippines,
and the Cold War was already being hatched, the PKP
and the Huks were obviously a nuisance and a threat to
them. My Grandfather ran for Senator in 1946 and lost.
A brother of his, Jesus, ran for Congressman, won, and
was promptly unseated. The PKP was declared illegal
and they had to go underground. Vicente died in 1947
and his brothers Jesus and Jose remained with the
underground movement.

Jose was captured in 1950 in Manila and was
incarcerated until 1970. Jesus continued the struggle
until his capture in 1964. He was released in 1974
when the PKP and the Philippine Government concluded a
political settlement.

Jose Maria Sison was recruited into the PKP in the
early 60's at a time when the PKP was linking up with
the Indonesians and Chinese. My Father (Vicente, Jr.)
and his cousins were already involved in the movement
during this time. The CPP/NPA was formed, allegedly
with the assistance of Senator Benigno Aquino, the
late husband of President Corazon Cojuangco Aquino,
who belongs to one of the biggest landowning families
in the Philippines - the Cojuangcos. Aquino was
assassinated at the Manila International Airport upon
his return from years of exile in the US in August
1983.

The split and the political settlement passed on the
movement's leadership to the CPP/NPA by default.

It's been more than 30 years since the CPP/NPA started
and more than 70 years since the PKP was formed and we
are still a colony run by a small group of families
and their foreign partners. But PO just might change
this. :-)

>>I was there about 5 years ago and Negros is better
>>than it was in the 80's. They have diversified their
>>agriculture, and established more commercial and
>>manufacturing enterprises. I even know of one who
>>is a Fukuoka Farming advocate now.

>When I was investigating this in 1983 there were
>several local initiatives to get the haciendas to
>diversify, including some good organics projects
>that were having good results. Most of the hacienda
>owners were "farming by radio", staying in the
>cities and talking to the farm managers by radio,
>never going there for fear of facing the workers >and
the hungry, displaced locals - several owners >had had
their heads removed with a bolo by then. >Fertile
ground for the NPA, if not for sugar.

That's exactly how it was. The NPA could be said to
have been in control of the Negros countryside at the
time. Much like the Huks in Central Luzon 40 years
earlier. But then again, like their predecessors,
they've seen their influence wane a bit since then.

>>I can see them producing ethanol like they do in
>>Brazil when we can no longer afford to import fossil
>>fuels.

>They were producing quite a lot of ethanol in 1983
>(and seriously polluting rivers in the doing). Not
>any more?

The island of Negros had (and I believe, still have)
the highest density of sugar mills in the country. I'd
say this was the major source of river pollution. The
government's ethanol program, while much hyped at the
time, never really got off the ground, and is now just
a footnote in our country's history. We're still
heavily dependent on imported petroleum. But with the
rising oil prices a sustainable way to produce ethanol
from sugar cane may well be economically viable at
some point. Same with biodiesel from coconuts. :-)

Regards.

Vin Lava
Manila, Philippines

P.S. Vicente, Sr. patented a process to extract oil
from fresh coconuts in the 30's. The Japanese offered
him US$1,000,000.00 at the time for the patent but he
refused it, preferring to keep the technology
incountry. One of our family's plans for PO is to use
this technology in a coconut producing area here. BTW,
we also fooled around with gasifiers and coconut oil
in the Oil Crunch of the 70's to run our trucks. But
that's another story... :-)