Hi Todd
I thought this might be the case , seeing reactors made with silicon seals and clamped lids is going to be a recipe for pressure build up once heat is applied. Last thing you want is a jet of methanol escaping from around the mixer shaft. I am still having trouble getting methanol cheap enough but another writer has given me some fresh ideas.
Cheers Ian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Pressure release

You're welcome Ian,

But I guess I should have qualified that "couple of pounds" pressure statement.

It's solely dependant upon reaction temperature not exceeding approximately 120*F.

Those who use hot water heaters as reactors may be running at higher temperatures. If they exceed 145-150*F then they're operating more of a reflux (boil) reactor rather than all the mixing being done by a pump.

That would all depend on how the thermostat is set. The factory thermostats are generally one time shut-offs that become unusable should the temp ever reach a specific high point. Older units shut down at 180*. Newer "older units" at ~160*. Spanking new units may be even lower.

In any event, a closed reflux reactor would have far higher pressures.

You could place an air cooled condensor on top of the reactor. That could be something as simple as a 10' long x 1/2" diameter copper tube with an open top. We've done this with a piece of scrap from a commercial cooling tower. It had hundreds of aluminum "fins" attached to it for heat dissipation.

In such a setup, the methanol will boil and thoroughly mix the contents, but as the vapors travel up the tube they cool and fall back into the reactor. Measuring the temp at different heights of the condensor will permit you to calibrate the reflux temp so no vapors escape.

Todd Swearingen

Ian & Theresa Sims wrote:

Hi Todd
Thanks for that I appreciate your advise.