Hello Doug, Keith,

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen
energyefficiencies

> >In the article, Pimentel is shown pumping gas, most likely plain old
> >regular unleaded gas...

:) Pimentel seems to be not only pumping gas but pumping for the gas
industry as a whole.

> >And it crossed my mind, "How much energy was used to provide a
> >gallon of plain old regular unleaded gas, considering all the energy
> >consumed, not only in drilling and pumping crude, cleaning,
> >separating, transporting, etc., but how much energy did the dinosaur
> >consume, in the way of food, how much energy did earth processes
> >contribute, in the way of pressures and time frames, etc.  And how
> >much energy would be consumed to convert a modern-day dinosaur (sort
> >of in short supply) into that same gallon of gas?  Consider the food
> >he'd be eating, the fossil fuel based pesticides I'd have to use on
> >the food source for Dino, etc...  "

More likely you will end up with a lot of hot flue gas and some irritaing
particulates, on combustion of this dino fuel. LOL.

> >Yeah, sort of silly, but probably worth a government grant to study.
> >doug swanson
>
> :-)
>
> Sorry to cavil, but dino-fuel is not made from dead dinosaurs as
> sometimes alleged. It comes from dead forests that grew in the same
> era, or round about then anyway.

Just a clarification.
There is evidence to suggest that the bulk of the liquid and gaseous
hydrocarbons is derived from marine plankton, both phytoplankton and  zoo
plankton. Dead forest largely form the basis of bituminous coal.

There is also substantial work iniitiated by the Russians and Ukrainians
(and rarely reported in the West until recently) of an abyssal, abiogenic
origin of petroleum, which postulates a co-eval formation of primordial
petroleum with
earth about 4.5 bollion years back,much earlier than the conventional era of
the dinosaurs,