The JTF website strongly recommends washing and the Josh Tickell book seems to suggest it isn't necessary and possibly even detrimental.  I'm interested in some insight on this difference of opinion.  I'm sure most experienced biodieselers here wash their biodiesel.

Would it be worthwhile to distill the methanol from the biodiesel instead of just washing it away?  I know this still leaves excess hydroxides that still need to be washed out, but it might reduce the number of washes necessary and you might be able to save some of your methanol.