typical think-tank rubbish.  an opinion piece masquerading as serious (and
unimpeachable, of course!) historical analysis.

the thing is, the piece is desperately short on analysis, though long on
subtext.  he rather selectively piles up a bunch of data  about the tactical
situation in the pacific.  all more or less correct, but he frames it in a
manner
that is neither organic nor very coherent.  most importantly, however, is that
only a single sentence fragment (in parenthesis, to boot) in the entire piece
directly addresses the question proposed in the title:

"On August 7 (the day after Hiroshima, which no one expected to prompt a
quick surrender). . . ."

let me give that to you again, in case it flew by too fast (precisely the
author's intent):

". . .the day after Hiroshima, which no one expected to prompt a quick
surrender. . . ."

so then, why *did* truman drop the bomb?

-chris b.