Hi Keith.

Sorry if you took my previous long winded reply as a direct reply/criticism - it wasn't intended that way.

Instead, it was a broader essay I posted to my blog as as the culmination of thoughts that have resulted from the dialogue here, as well as at tdiclub.com, and in real life. (For example, the lambasting I refered to occurred over at TDIclub, not here. And the bit about junk science came up at dinner the other night.)

So while it was inspired in part by the thread here, it should really have been sent to the list as a new thread. I didn't mean to set up a strawman or put words in anyone's mouth (e.g. the Barton witchhunt comment). Again, sorry about that.

Anyway, did you notice the column Krugman published the very next day on intelligent design? That's the type of issue I was trying to speak to. Clearly I missed the mark. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/opinion/05krugman.html

I don't disagree with you one bit that the corporate disinformation machine has been exceptionally successful at promoting their agenda. And yes, I agree that merely promoting good science isn't enough, particularly given the American media's misguided attempts to provide "balance". But that having been said, as a scientist, I had to reaffirm my faith that the process does in fact work. (And yes, I use the word faith intentionally.) It may not work as perfectly as it should (cf Kuhn), but it does work imperfectly (cf Sagan).

That's what I was trying to say. If that makes me idealistic/naive, so be it.

jh

Keith Addison wrote:
Hello John

Keith, Bob, Andrew et al.

Respectfully, I need to disagree with Keith and go with Bob on this one.

David Pimentel may rightfully deserve scorn for his repeatedly releasing skewed reports long after the errors have been pointed out.

However, he should not be attacked for doing so,

I did not say he should be attacked. I said he should be questioned, and I provided the questions, and my previous post (which you've copied below) provided a link to it. Here, again:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg52605.html
Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficien

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg52756.html
Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficienc

We want to know why he does it. On whose behalf is also a good question.

That is, science is self-correcting and already has a culture to deal with incorrect results, be they intentional or accidental.

For every example of it that you can point to I'll point to another that wasn't self-corrected.

I've just been saying that seeing the government as a bumbling dolt might be a dangerous delusion, and failing to see the ever-swelling influence of corporate spending on science is similarly dangerous. Especially since there have been so many peer-reviewed studies of it and its effects (some of which have been posted here before).

Rely on science's self-correction if you want to, but in these circumstances I'd put about as much credence in that as in chemical industry self-policing of self-formulated pollution controls (ie what we've got now, more or less - plenty of examples of that in the archives too).

It's not even happening in that arena, as I said - it's not scientific enquiry, it's a skilful and effective publicity campaign. Would your scientific self-correction (albeit 20 years late with 20 years of abuse of the public interest in the meantime) make 100% sure, as does the Cornell publicity team which is at Pimentel's disposal, that it'll get picked up by AP and get good placement in the LA Times? If not it'll be useless as well as too late.

As noted by Carl Sagan, yet another iconic Cornell professor:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."

Frankly however, with respect to Dr. Sagan, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for David Pimental to come around given his past intransigence. If Kuhn was right, we may have to wait another couple of decades for Pimental to stop publishing his misleading reports.

Still, to blindly lambaste David Pimental (and frankly, any scientist we disagree with) is to move the discourse from the rational to the emotional.

Blind lambasting, John? There've been some jeers ("Yours in jest"), but it's me you name first, apparently without checking what I'd said, which is neither blind nor a lambasting, nor emotional, nor has it ever been since I first covered this at JtF four years ago. Nor will you be able to find any instance of my blindly and/or emotionally lambasting "any scientist I disagree with".

It's you who's been blind, in not checking before flinging these accusations, in taking such poor aim, and indeed in offering a "solution" that's so severely blinkered.

And that is simply unacceptable.

Just what I was going to say.

"Junk science" is not a label to be capriciously applied to research that has implications we don't like. It's unacceptable whether we're talking about the right and climate change or the left and sustainability of biofuels.

Instead, the best way to expose flawed calculations or conclusions is to refute the logic used to arrive at the conclusion and to rebut the argument on its merits. Problem is, that's tough to do as it requires in-depth knowledge and lots of time.

Not so, the salient facts have been provided many times, based on solid research done by real scientists who do have the in-depth knowledge and use it responsibly. As the data I posted shows, not for the first time.

Instead, its far easier just to blast the messenger, but that doesn't make it okay. The witch-hunt Congressman Barton is leading against Michael Mann is only one such egregious example.

Are you comparing us to Congressman Barton's witch-hunt against Michael Mann? I'd like an answer to that please. What's up with you, eh? Bad hair day?

Malcolm Gladwell wrote Thomas Kuhn's legacy was that he taught "the process of science was fundamentally human, that discoveries were the product not of some plodding, rational process but of human ingenuity intermingled with politics and personality--that science was, in the end, a social process."

Kuhn may be right, and science may be a flawed human process, but frankly, it's the best we've got. And personally, I'd rather put my faith it in.

Naive. Your view of the problem leaves out all the important bits.

Keith

jh

Keith Addison wrote:

Hello Bob, Andrew

Normally I'd agree with you Bob, but not in Pimentel's case, that time was long ago, and now Andrew's response is not inappropriate. Pimentel merits little better than scorn and derision

Andrew,

I know you said it in jest, but the unfortunate effect of your sarcasm regarding David Pimentel, one of the nations' outstanding scientists, is to support the ignorant critics of good science who argue that, "if I believe in a proposition, then anyone who presents evidence that contradicts my belief is a malicious fool and not to be believed".

It is true that a few pseudoscientists acting as industry shills will (for a fee) produce a "scientific study" supporting any industry-desired conclusion, but your implication that Pimentel is such an Exxon shill is blatant slander, and I am ashamed to see it on the Biofuels site.

I assume that you wish ethanol's EROEI (energy return over energy input) to be positive, thus making it a useful energy source as we approach the end of fossil fuels. So do I - and so would lots of other folks. I'm sure also that David Pimentel shares that wish. The difference between you and Pimentel is that as a scientist, he says, "It's a great idea and I hope it's true, but what if it isn't? So let's run the numbers and seek the truth of the matter. If it turns out the EROEI is negative, we would be commiting a cruel and expensive hoax on the nation to propose ethanol as an energy solution."

Not so, sad to say. Pimentel has long been aware that the data he uses is outdated and wrong, but he keeps using it anyway. Implying that he's an Exxon-et al shill is not blatant slander, the question has to be asked why he continues doing this, and asked of his publishers too. This is peer review? I think not. It certainly is not science. It's propaganda.

I am as disappointed as you must be in his analysis showing a negative EROEI. And I look forward to additional valid studies testing and challenging his conclusion.

Those have been to hand for a long time, more and more of them, debunking every aspect of Pimentel's claims. Pimentel takes no notice, neither do his publishers.

But to lampoon his work because you don't like the color of - was it his socks? - is not a worthy act on your part.

Well, I don't know, I suppose we can take his socks about as seriously as the rest of him.

Nothing new here - we've been discussing Pimentel's repeated and rather successful disinformation campaign since early 2001. As John said when he posted this latest bout, he does it every year.

Please see these recent messages, to put it in perspective:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg52605.html
Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficien

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg52756.html
Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficienc

Best wishes

Keith

I'm sure you can do better. I hope you will.

In all sincerity and hoping that your future jests will be more benign,

Bob A.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Lowe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>