Hello Ken,

Many thanks for posting the research. I´ve downloaded it and will consume it this weekend.

Tom Irwin

From: Ken Gotberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:31:13 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] ethanol from wood using mushrooms

I’ll combine my answers.

Bob

Yes, you need a cellulase to extract glucose and there are many with those from Trichoderma reesei being the most common and most studied with the genome known (?).  The glucose has many uses with ethanol being just one of them losing ~ half of the starting material as CO2.  Others like citric acid don’t lose material except that used for cell growth.

I should mention the dilute and concentrated acid methods are also viable options, but I prefer the biological route for use in the third world.  The EERE site has a lot of info about this and worth a look for those interested.

There are a few plants actually in production making glucose whose names and locations I’ve forgotten -names like ADM, Cargil in places like Canada come to mind. .

With high fuel prices, the old technologies and some new ones may become viable again like during the first OPEC embargo circa 1970.

Tom

The thesis (I think it is a thesis) is:

Pauliina Lankinen, “Liginolytic enzymes of the basidiomycetous fungi Agaricus bisporus and Phlebia radiata on lignocellulose-containing media”, Helsinki 2004

http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/maa/skemi/vk/lankinen/ligninol.pdf

There is a lot of research going on in Finland and Sweden because of he economic importance of forests in these countries.

Greg

MoS2 catalysis is another old idea with patents held by Dow and a new one held by a small company.  This is modified Fisher-Tropsch idea with first making syngas (H2 + CO) in various propitiations and the catalysis recombines as alcohols rather than hydrocarbons as is the case in the full-blown F-T.  No addition of H2 is necessary.  This also isn’t poisoned by sulphur because sulphur is part of the catalysis.