I'm not sure it is that simple. I read the abstract and clearly the energy is coupled acoustically into the oil. I assume the transducer they used is similar to the ones found in ultrasonic disrupters used for breaking cell walls (40 Khz) and megasonic cleaning systems which are used in the semiconductor industry for cleaning photomasks. These operate in the Mhz frequency range but couple energy acoustically rather than through RF electromagnetic agitation of molecules as is sugested by the word 'microwave' Sonic energy causes microcavitation in fluids and when the tiny bubbles colapse they launch micro shockwaves that can do surprising things. I had also considered using microwaves in the way you suggest similar to the way a downstream plasma source works but in this case it would be oil in the tube rather than a rarefied gas. Oil molecules have an absorbtion peak somewhere around the 2.5 Ghz frequency that typical microwave oven magnetrons produce so energy would be easily coupled through this method. I am not a chemist but basically the idea is that if you can inject enough energy to kick electrons out of thier happy orbitals you can then cause chemical bonds to break or under the right conditions, to form. Photons in the UV spectrum are very energetic and in the presence of the stoichiometric ratio of alcohol and base I am wondering if coupling energy into the system in the right way can push the reaction to completion without the need for extra alcohol as a catalyst. That would directly reduce the cost of producing biodiesel and also mean that the glycerine could be alcohol free. Ahh if only I didn't need to sleep, eat, and go to a job every day I might have time to play around and find out some answers.....

Joe

bob allen wrote:

the only difference between this procedure and the usual method is the way you heat the mixture; that is, using microwaves substitutes for heating by other methods.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have seen ultrasonic (microwave) at

http://tinyurl.com/8cad7   --in the reactor

and

http://tinyurl.com/bo3by  -- in an exit tube from the reactor

both produce glycerine byproduct.

There are a couple of these producers out there who raised there hands
a while back but I cannot find the post again.

Ray