robert luis rabello wrote
"However, our vegetable garden is bursting with produce. We've
NEVER had such an abundant harvest, and for the first time
EVER, I'm growing maize that's taller than I am! (We have a
sunflower that is well over 3 meters in height, too!)"

Robert,
Have these large crops in your garden been tested for nutrients?

Everyone,
An article posted on this list July 25, 2005. (Planet of the Plants
By Glenn Scherer, Grist Magazine) told how many plants are
growing much larger but are losing nitrogen and other important
nutrients:

“Gaseous CO2  fertilization does cause remarkable growth
spurts in many plants, and  could create a greener planet with
beefier tomatoes and  faster-growing, bigger trees. But there's a
catch: The insects,  mammals, and impoverished people in
developing countries who feed on  this bounty may end up
malnourished, or even starving. The less-nutritious plants of a
CO2-enriched world will likely not be  a problem for rich nations,
where "super-sized" meals and vitamin  supplements are a
dietary mainstay. But things could be very  different in the
developing world, where millions already live on the  edge of
starvation, and where the micronutrient deficit, known as
"hidden hunger," is already considered one of the world's
leading  health problems by the United Nations... today's plants
had the lowest  levels of calcium, copper, iron, potassium,
magnesium, sodium,  sulfur, and zinc than at any time in the last
three centuries. The obvious way to reduce the risk of declining
food quality is to  cut fossil-fuel emissions, thereby reducing
atmospheric CO2  concentrations.”

Does anyone know what plants can maintain their nutrients in
spite of the excess CO2 that makes them grow so large? I’m
meeting with someone from Columbia who is teaching poor
people in 16 developing countries how to grow food for almost
no cost. This information would be very helpful to share with him.

Marilyn