TarynToo wrote:

Snip

>But you can't expect to live on a flood plain, or a sand bar, or a
>muddy hillside, or a dry pine forest, and be safe. Should governments
>issue building permits in swamps? Should insurance companies write fire
>policies on wooden houses in pine forests? Flood policies on swamps and
>flood plains? Should governments try to control mighty rivers from
>headwaters to delta, destroying wetlands and buffering swamp?  Should
>governments dredge millions of tons of sand back onto the beaches of
>Miami every time a hurricane scours them out?

On a similar note I remember reading about how construction of  homes,
buildings and even schools is being done right on top of the San Andreas
fault in California.  One of the criterea for the house I bought was
that it be cloe to a high point of land in my area.  I would never buy
or build in a flood plain or sea coast (unless it was solid rock with
high cliffs), avalanche or mudslide area etc etc etc.  Despite all of
our wonderful scientific knowledge we cannot ever believe we are above
Nature (with a capital N) to do so is foolhardy.

Joe