Hi Mike
"So would I."
Did you?
"The filter has less to do with sine wave synthesis and more to do
with ensuring a clean signal."
Of course, this is basic electronics.
Which is probably why Kirk said it is very lossy. To turn away a
signal is in itself loss unless you have some way to feed it back
after massaging it.
Do you have access to an oscilloscope?
Check out the wave shape coming out of a cheap battery backup used for
small computers.
Compare it to the wave shape of grid AC.
Can you see the difference?
 "There is also the added bonus of creating/using  more primitive
signal generators without sacrificing quality since the filter will
reject unwanted signals."
Why are you using primitive electronics?
"OK So....are you going to explain why or just leave me hangin'? Mike"
You haven't the foggiest idea why I said you were hanging?
Hmmm.
I am trying to help.
Brian