"Why is this source so ignored when it produces over 3 gallons for
every one expended?"

I suspect that a analysis of whether more soybean or corn farms are
owned by small family operations, or by large mega-farms might shed
some like on this.  I seem to remember some report that suggested that
alot of the opposition to biofuels (presumably biodiesel) was not just
because they were an affront to oil companies, but because the
majority of production was owned by co-ops rather than industrial
farms.  The "establishment" sees the co-op owner ship as being even
more of a danger than the alternative fuel.  I wish I could remember
the details.