Interesting idea, but I'd have to say I prefer PV myself.  No moving
parts.   Solar got a bad rap in the US in the 80's due to alot of
poorly installed solar thermal systems.  Now everyone expects their PV
system to leak....  I can't actually remember doing any maintenance on
my PV system in the last year (it has sealed batteries), except maybe
shoveling the snow off the panels after returning from vacation.
Solar thermal is the obvious way to go for any heat collection needed
(at least two thirds the loads of a house here in Colorado), because
of higher collection efficiency, but I have yet to find a way to
convert low grade (100 or 200C) heat into electricity that withstands
the tests of the real world.