here is a similar technology on a grand scale.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/01/05/australia.tower/

turn the fans off and this baby would shoot you to the stratosphere in a
jiffy.

Joe Street wrote:
> Kewl!
>
> Me and my hang gliding buddies have been talking about something like
> this for a while.  We are interested in using the convective force not
> to drive air through filters but rather to trigger larger convective
> currents in the air.  Yes I am talking about a thermal generator.  It
> would be so nice to have a "house" thermal always reliable and present
> on the location of our airfield.  Jason do you have any data on the
> device?  What kind of air flow rate does it produce?  Is there an
> optimal shape, are there advantages to building it next to special areas
> like a woodlot or a pond from which it can draw cool air, or is it
> better to have it in say an open feild where it can draw air which is
> already somewhat heated by the surrounding soil?  What about materials
> choices for cost vs. performance tradeoffs?
>
> Joe
>

>>"Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>
>><snip>
>>

>>>P.S. for a look at another of my ideas to fight air pollution go here
>>>http://homepage.urbanet.ch/scaf/pages/flat_tab_medium_indexpag.html

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman