Egads!

Just got back from a dinner party with the local elite, and everyone
was discussing an imminent US attack on Venezuela. As though it were
fact. A done deal. Asking me (half yank) to explain what on earth is
going on in the good old us of a.
Much chatter about 'surgical' strikes. Oil. Our host's grandparents
(german expats, one the son of a Reich consul in Argentina) were there,
recalling the late 30's when they were teenagers. Abyssinian
'excursions', speeches at Nuremberg. Neville Chamberlain. Scary. And
absurd, if true. Could Rove actually believe this will somehow help the
administration's popularity? Or maybe approval ratings no longer
matter. Not if the American public can no longer do anything about
anything. Gotta get 'it' before China does? Chavez a loose cannon?
Phone calls to friends in Caracas, lots of busy lines, hard to get
through, people are heading out of town, or don't want to come back
from their weekend trips. Generalized paranoia.
Is this possible? Has anyone heard of anything? Gold just hit a 16 year
high today, and not just in debased dollar terms...

tell me it ain't so!

andres