> > Maximum 96% by distillation, 192-proof, then it stops because of
> > azeotropism. The boiling temperature of 96% ethanol is lower than
> > that of pure ethanol. <snip>
>
>With respect Keith, but if I'm not wrong, the boiling point of 96% is higher
>than that of pure ethanol. At that percentage the boiling point of the last
>bit of water is lower than 100° C, being exactly the same as that of 96%.
>Am I wrong ?

Wrong, according to Mike Nixon, who knows what he's talking about.
See The Compleat Distiller, Nixon and McKay, Amphora Society, 2001,
p.37. "Another result of azeotropism is that the boiling temperature
of the 96% ethanol solution is lower than that of pure ethanol."

>Well, anyway not so important. We just cannot get it higher than 96% without
>other tricks like tholuene or benzene.

Or lime, or corn grits, or 3A zeolite, or castor oil, or....

Keith