> Transestherification swaps out the glycerol chain for an alcohol one w/i the
> molecular bond of the oil, which, like Keith said, makes it burn...or rather
> "explode under pressure" better than SVO. I believe in researching storage
> legality that BD must be treated as a Category 3 explosive, you won't find
> such a thing w/ SVO/WVO.

Yikes.  I wonder what gasoline is considered then.  Because I have
tried to set a pan of biodiesel on fire with a torch, and did not
succeed.

>  Now, theoretically, because the idea of a diesel engine is that it uses
> pressure instead of a spark to cause the explosion w/i the cylinder, you
> *could* get one to operate on a *lot* of different fuels, but it isn't
> recommended.

Actually, according to my uncle who did his PhD on diesel engines,
they run much better on ether than diesel.  Of course it was
$6/gallon, back when diesel was $1/gallon....    And alot of the
industrial diesels for power generation are designed to run on natural
gas instead of diesel, because of lower emissions and cost.  I'm not
sure what they do to the injection system to run a gaseous fuel in a
diesel engine.

>  And, furthermore, if reducing the viscosity of WVO was the primary goal of
> producing BD, there are significantly simpler, cheaper, and safer ways to do
> it than transestherification.

Regarding the emissions of SVO, I have some EPA data from a 1974
Mercedes running on WVO that has never been published.  I'll post it
here if I can find it again.  Some students did the testing on a
senior design project that I was overseeing last year, but they didn't
realize that the the test car was usually run on biodiesel blend so
our base-line test might not be very meaningful.  If I recall,
emissions were very close to, if not higher for WVO than the base
case, except for particulates, which were much less.