This is another way to heat a car in winter.
http://www.wohlfuehlklima.de/index_en.php

At least it means you are not dependent on an electrical outlet. I keep
meaning to buy one myself, but have always forgotten. The modern TDI engines
have a preheating circuit anyway, so the conversion kit is not so expensive
in that case.

Simon