Hi Chris,

Is this true that Coops are not allowed to make their own biodiesel?  This sounds unreasonable.  I guess this is just big oil, big biodiesel, and the politicians and bureaucrats way of making sure that their profits are secured.  That's rather depressing news for me since my idea was to help coops learn the technology, hoping that if enough coops throughout the islands begin making their own fuel it would free many communities from the stranglehold that Big Oil and "government".  My dream is to have a small biodiesel making plant with the goal of transfering the technology to other similarly-inclined people.  Sort of like these people:

Perhaps what this restriction is saying is that groups of people (Coops) cannot make and SELL their biodiesel, using the excuse that their product would not be "up to standard".  But does this mean that, for instance, a group of jeepney drivers cannot make biodiesel for their own consumption?  How can the government justify such a thing?

Best regards,
Mon

PS - What I hope for is something similar to http://www.greaseworks.org/

http://www.greaseworks.org/mission

"

We are a group of environmentally conscious biologists, students, working human beings, lawyers, farmers, professors and small business owners, who are committed to supporting renewable, domestically produced, vegetable-based alternative fuels.

We adhere to the philosophy of leading by example, and thus use biodiesel and SVO in our personal vehicles. If change is to come, we, as individuals, must change.

We have a vision of a world where the most important facet of any decision is the health of the Earth and the health of its inhabitants--both human and non-human alike.

It is our belief that renewable energy and appropriate technology will, in the years to come, be the modus operandi of our western culture--not so much out of desire as necessity.

The unifying thread of our Co-op is sustainability, and to those ends we stare boldly into the future and offer a viable alternative to petroleum."