This sounds weird alright.
> I'm leaning toward a hoax as well.  Anytime I hear something about
> Russian scientists...
I googled New Madrid fault, found http://quake.ualr.edu/public/nmfz.htm
What's weird is, I keep hearing new stuff everyday in this group. My
ignorance does not amuse me.
I may have heard of this fault (location) but I didn't know or recall
the name. We rarely have tremors here in Northern New Mexico but we
had a pretty good ground shake during the Summer.
I left Southern California after the big quake in 1971, it scared the
crap out of me. Well, that and Uncle Sam asked me to attend the party
in Viet Nam. Between the two events I was feeling pretty fragile.
Mother Nature can react badly to human nature it seems.
Or did I detect this paranoid idea from this conspiracy theory message?
Brian Rodgers
P.S. I managed to stay out of the uniform and never went back to
California either.