> Item 1.  Hybrid cars:  Find the right person to ask, ask
> publically, and put the answer in print:  "Why is it that four
> years ago hybrids got 50 mpg, and now they get 25 mpg?  What's the
> point?"

This is because the US market has been focused on performance, not
efficiency.  The first hybrids were seen as suitable only for
"environmental wackos", sort of like the old slow diesel cars.  To
break into the mainstream market, hybrid cars had to do what every
other technology for increasing efficiency has done -- allowed the use
of higher power engines without sacrificing mileage.  I don't have the
numbers handy, but I believe the average HP per pound of passenger
cars and trucks in the US has close to doubled since the mid 70's, yet
the average new car still gets about the same mileage.  If they had
kept the relative power the same as back then, then a standard
gasoline car nowadays would get better mileage than 70's cars because
of all the technology improvements -- fuel injection, variable valve
timing, overhead multivalve engines, more transmission speeds, lockup
torque converters, etc.  The new hybrid cars are following the same
trend -- the power of a V6, but the economy of a 4 cylinder.... Even
the new diesels from VW available in the US are this way -- way faster
than old ones, but the same mileage, while ones like the Lupo have
proven that much higher mileage is possible if we are willing to do
with a little less acceleration -- and even a lupo has better
acceleration than an old NA diesel rabbit...