Not quite a direct answer to your questions, but one thing I've found
very helpful when taking apart engines that I lack manuals for (or
even ones that I have generic manuals for), is to take LOTS of digital
pictures before ripping into it.  Then you can refer to them when you
are wondering exactly which vacuum hose goes where when reassembling
it.

Zeke