>Dear Mr. Tom Irwin:
>thanks for your prompt replay and valuable information.
>I am having a rough time in trying to transesterify tallow using
>ethanol and KOH, could you be kind enough and make me any process
>suggestions?.
>I  have tryed: a tallow with ony 2.5% of FFA; 50ÂșC; 1% KOH;  molar
>fraction basis , ethanol: tallow  6:1,  up to 12 hours and obtained
>practically zero reaction ( none visible separation of glycerol out
>of gluk). Weird, dont you think?.
>Yours truly,
>Mr. F.J. Burgos

Not very weird. It's the ethanol that's causing the problems more
than the tallow, tallow isn't a problem. With ethanol FFA levels have
to be  low, less than 1 ml 0.01% NaOH solution titration, and no
water content in anything. You probably will not achieve a reliable
process without using some methanol at least with the ethanol (which
must be absolute). I think ethanol:tallow 6:1 on a molar basis isn't
nearly enough.

Best wishes

Keith