-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Rodgers
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 12:28 PM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] methoxide solution - missing scale

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Yes it is a Ti-83 with a Vernier LabPro attachment.
This is only the second time I have had it out of the box so I still
know little about how to use it.
Today I have two other projects I need to do while daylight is burning.
First I have harvested two dozen beautiful cedar posts from our forest.
In an attempt to get our ranch more sustainable I will be making more
products from our main resource, trees. I have been using an old timey
draw knife to debark the cedar posts. This is unheard of around here,
most of the ranchers now use steel posts. Steel posts are imported to
this part of the US and for all I know they all come from China. The
heck with that. Back when the ranchers did use wooden posts here in the
southwest unpeeled cedar posts were employed. Cedar is a great  wood for
posts as it has lasting qualities not found in other wood found locally.
We have found that the wood borers like to get under the bark and begin
to deteriorate the wood quickly, Thus cedar lasts about ten tears in the
ground. Anyway, we have been peeling the posts which is tough because
our cedar is quite bracnhy. I worked out a rig for holding the posts
while I use the small chainsaw to smooth the sides. The drawknife then
slips through the bark fairly easily.

The second part of my project today is tied nicely to the first, I
worked out a trade with a local organic gardener in posts for garlic for
planting. He has fantastic growth of garlic during the last five years
and he lives up in the mountains just like us. Boy howdy, I guaranty you
haven't tasted garlic this hot and spicy. So, we are totally inspired to
expand our garden next Spring to include a large patch of garlic.
Planting time for garlic is now, he says. He has invited me to come to
his place this afternoon and learn. I will bring the posts which he
needs to build a deer proof fence as a second line of defense from the
deer, on the way back we will stop be the local purebred horse ranch
where they give away manure which has no hay or weed seed because they
have rubber mats in the stalls for the fancy horses.

It is our plan to mix the manure with wood chips from our forest and
begin a large scale compost pile for next Spring. Yep I am going to be a
regular farmer not just a tree farmer! How scatterbrained is this?
Sorry Keith. Just teasing.

This evening I will break out the book for the TI-83 and see how to use
it. In the kit there are several probes, the one I am interested i is a
pH sensor p# PH-BTA. Now that I look at this manual it has about fifty
sensors available, starting with a 3-axis Accelerometer...Radiation
monitor... Magnetic field sensor... Light sensor.. O2 Gas sensor, pretty
much a you name it, they got it.
Sincerely,
Brian Rodgers

On 10/21/05, David Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A pH meter using a Ti-83? I never heard of such a thing, not
> surprising, I'll need to look into that. I've got a TI-83 Plus
> collecting dust at the moment. Time to Google I guess.
> David

Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000
messages):