> > >viz straight represetative democracy - be careful what you wish for.  If
> > >Saudi Arabia had a pure representational system they'd wind up with a
> > >far more radical Wahab state.

Well, that would not be so good for the US I agree.  But are you
saying that a dictatorship is better than a democracy, if the majority
of the people don't agree with us?  That is exactly what Muslims have
learned: "democracy" means will of the people, as long as that will
isn't to become a religious state.  Back in Algeria in the 60's, and
continuing on till today.  I've talked to a number of arabs who hate
the US and Europe promoting democracy, because they know that we don't
really mean it.  Perhaps why the wahabists enjoy such support in Saudi
Arabia now?

Besides, the religious fundamentalists are succeeding in taking power
just as well here as in the middle east.