Might be easier to just put the volvo diesel in it.  From what I
understand, the volvo 2.4 liter diesel was just a 6 cylinder version
of the 1.6 used in all the VW stuff, made by VW/Audi so alot of parts
are interchangeable.

I agree, it would be challenge though.  I tried putting a VW diesel in
a subaru, and still haven't given up, although it's on the back burner
for a while.

Zeke