Wrong! Try a live CD (I would suggest Mepis, which is downloadable using M$
wonderful system if you wish, from a link given on Mepis.org, ). This will
load off the CD drive, & run on your computer. It will not affect the
harddisc unless you tell it to.
 If you do try this, I think you will see that the general operation is very
similar to that commercial operating system, and there is generally very
little problem configuring the system. (There are provisos tho: some hardware
eg Winmodems, that are not always detected. Some programs away from the
mainstream may require a little gigging to get working: an example could be
one I have seen: Qcad, a CAD program available for Linux, which I had to
Google an issue with printer configuration to find out how to fix, but this
was an extreme case.) Also the help is now very good, and help is available
for even the most esoteric problem you find - sometimes better than
Commercial programs- occasionally the original software developer will answer
a query put on a Help list.

So, please try it! I really think it is worth the effort.

regards Doug