robert luis rabello wrote:
>>Article 61:
>>
>>Possession of a still
>>
>>61. No person shall possess a still or other equipment suitable for the
>>production of spirits with the intent of producing spirits unless the person
>>
>>(a) is a spirits licensee; or
>>
>>(b) has a pending application for a spirits licence.
>
>       I have both forms.  I've contacted the local customs and revenue
> agency on several occasions, trying to clarify that I'm an individual
> looking to obtain the required permits.  I've spoken to people who
> were "too busy" to talk to me.  I've left several messages, and nobody
> returns my phone calls.

This is less a problem of legislation and more a problem of bureaucracy.
The Act is pretty clear -- the relevant sections refer to persons and
provide specifically for licencing. People giving you blank stares when
you ask them questions to which they lack the answers (probably because
they don't know what you are talking about) is not the same is it not
being allowed (or even, bureaucracy aside, difficult to arrange).

Dealing with government is an art :)

Enough individuals in Canada have operated fuel stills (legally). Note
also that the act allows someone with an application pending to possess
a still.

>>The excise regulations regulate ethanol fuels and specially denatured
>>alcohols (usually used for fuel), but there's no prohibition. There's no
>>mention of the operation of a still in the legislation itself; I imagine
>>that's handled in the regulations (I'm going to get a copy of them).
>
>       That would be a good thing.

You can get all this stuff from the Federal Queen's Printer -- you can
usually find the number in the blue pages.

>>I would encourage you to look into applying for an excise permit. Others
>>have done it. There's nothing illegal about it if you follow the rules.
>
>       I HAVE looked into this.  Would you like me to send you the forms?

Sure -- do you have them in PDF format?

-Stephen-