I'm working down in the Bahamas, where we've been making 150 gallon
batches with UVO for over 2 years. Recently, we'd been experiencing an
abnormal amount of clogged fuel filters, so I wondered if the fuel had
completed reacted.
To test this, I took a 500 ml beaker of fuel and added methoxide (20 %
methanol, 1.5 g/l lye) and found that a good 1/4 inch of glycerin
settled to he bottom. Today, with a new batch of washed and dried fuel,
I conducted the same experiment, but found a different result - the
solution turned darker, but with a high density of lighter gelatinous
fats floating around. The first reaction makes sense to me, the second
does not. Can anyone explain this?
On a side note, what are the consequences for using too much lye in
one's reaction? From different sources, I've heard that it's harmless
and that it creates soaps. Which is correct?

Thanks,
Nick