Hello two Bobs

>Correct me if I am wrong, but history shows us that that following
>any war, you only get war crime trials for the leaders of the losing
>side.

There's a whole new court of opinion to be considered this time
round. It's worldwide, it can't be swayed, it doesn't care what
leaders think, and it's already deeply involved in this issue. "There
may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and
world public opinion," said The New York Times. Indeed, and it's the
Other Superpower and the way it networks via the Internet that's
proving unstoppable, across a very broad front.

Chief non-allies of the Anglo/US coalition are the entire world with
the exception of Israel, and not excluding most Americans:

>... On the brink of the war no public but the Israeli one supported
>it under the conditions in which it was being launched--that is,
>without UN support. Public-opinion polls showed that in most
>countries opposition to the war was closer to unanimity than to a
>mere majority. A Gallup poll showed that in "neutral" (and normally
>pro-American) Switzerland the figure was 90 percent, in Argentina 87
>percent, in Nigeria 86 percent, in Bosnia (recently the beneficiary
>of NATO intervention on its behalf) 91 percent. In all of the
>countries whose governments supported the war except Israel's, the
>public opposed it. The "coalition of the willing" was a coalition of
>governments alone.

See:
The Other Superpower
March 27, 2003
by Jonathan Schell
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030414&s=schell

Most of the governments that opposed public opinion to support the
invasion either fell or quickly learnt their lesson and pulled out
their troops and support.

The Other Superpower is likely to be implacable about the Iraq war
crimes issue. They're 9we're) proving implacable about quite a lot of
things, and about time too.

>As the Anglo/US coalition can be deemed to have effectively won the
>war against Iraq,

You mean like the US won the war in Vietnam?

Yes they're not the same but they're comparable nonetheless, and, uh,
I think we heard about the victory and the war being over some time
ago already. Actually you first have to get the other side to admit
they're beaten so they stop killing your guys, and there aren't a lot
of signs that they're quite getting that message just yet, or ever.

>there will sadly be no war crime trials of it's leaders.

I'm not sure some of them would agree with you right now quite as
much as they might've done a year or so ago.

Best

Keith