----- Original Message -----
From: "Chip Mefford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Oil and democracy -was-Scientific method

> Paul S Cantrell wrote:
>> The last 2 elections would
>> have probably gone the other way if it were simple majority. I think the
>> concerns over time zones and the like could be worked out and we might
>> have
>> more than 2 twin parties.
>
> Personally, I think some simple changes would fix a lot of what
> is currently borked in the US political system. Debates for
> instance, pretty much all public debating (meaning televised)
> is done of, by and for the Twin Partys. This should cease
> immediately. This much of the system process would be
> well served by true open debate, including by design
> "third" or "fringe" party candidates. I think this alone
> would be easy to handle under law. I think it could
> make a huge difference.

In the last Presidential election, both the Libertarian Party candidate
(Mike Badnarick) and the Consitutional Party Candidate (Mike Peroutka) filed
a lawsuit against the Commission on Presidential Debates to allow "fringe"
candidates access to the debate held in Arizona.  The judge ruled against
them, stating that they waited too long to file  and there wasn't enough
time to allow for a thorough review of the case.  Basically, better luck
next time.

Both candidates proceeded to crash the debates anyway, and were arrested
trying to get in the building.  These Presidential candidates spent a night
in jail trying to defend open debates, and the mainstream new outlets didn't
even mention it.

When the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum Parties (you decide which one is which)
finally succumb to letting the "rabble" in on their choreographed debates,
they would be acknowledging that there really are more than two parties in
the U.S.  And that would be a bad thing for them.

Thanks,

Earl Kinsley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government
owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To
destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between
corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmen of
today."
 - President Theodore Roosevelt - 1906