>Hi all,
>
>I am sure this question has been asked a few time

You're right, hundreds of finds in the list archives, it's dealt with
four or five times at the JtF website because people ask it so often.

>but I just wanted a bit more clarification for peace of mind.
>
>I did my first test batch last weekend, and aside from a few
>equipment hiccups all seemed to go Ok.  I let the solution settle
>for a few days and then did a quality test last night.
>
>The test seemed to go alright, with the majority of water separating
>in about 30mins.  However, the biodiesel at the top was still
>cloudy.  I have checked the JTF site and it states that the liquid
>should be an amber colour, and clear????

"The biodiesel should separate from the water in half an hour or
less, with amber biodiesel on top and milky water below. This is
quality fuel, a completed product with minimal contaminants. Wash it,
dry it and use it with confidence."
-- Biodiesel and your vehicle > Quality testing > Wash test
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#quality

Nothing about clear.

>I am assuming that the cloudiness I have indicates that my process
>isn't fully complete and I should have another crack.  Would that be
>correct?

Wrong.

"When it's clear (not colourless but translucent) it's dry and ready
to use. It might clear quickly, or it might take a few days or up to
a week. If you're in a hurry, heat it gently to 48 deg C (120 deg F)
and allow to cool."
-- Make your own biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Also:

Drying the fuel

When the fuel is clear -- not colourless but translucent, you can see
through it, there's no haze or cloudiness -- then it's dry. Actually
it's never dry: despite what the standards say, it always absorbs
some water from the atmosphere, between 1,200 and 1,500 ppm, but this
is dissolved water, which is harmless, unlike suspended water.

It should clear by itself in anything from a day or so to a week
after you separate the final batch of wash-water. Leaving it in the
sun will help, or heat it to 45-50 deg C (113-122 deg F) and let it
cool in a vented container. If it goes cloudy again on cooling you
probably haven't washed it thoroughly enough. Give it another wash.
If you're in a hurry heating it to 45-50 deg C a second time might
clear it.

-- Washing
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html#dry

Etc.