Jonathan Schearer wrote:

> I have a question for the group.  Would a water distiller like the kind
> found at www.waterdistiller.com <http://www.waterdistiller.com> be
> similar to an alcohol still?  Usually an alcohol still has a column and
> uses water as the coolant for the condenser.  These water distillers use
> a coil that is air cooled.

It's been done.

http://www.brewhaus.com/EasyStill.htm

As far as their claim of 90% distillation on 2 passes, well, I'll
believe that when I see it.

Brewhaus says their only modifications are elimination of the "chlorine
release valve", and installation of a lower power heating element.  What
they're describing is just the lower power version of the standard water
distiller.  I have a feeling they didn't even change the thermal cutout
to a lower temperature version.  They talk it up like there are all
kinds of mods to it, but it looks like a standard water distiller to me.

My feeling is to give it a try and see what happens.  Operate it
-=*OUTDOORS*=-, have a fire extinguisher handy, do the maths so you know
what to expect, and give it a shot.

If it doesn't work then you'll only be out the ~$129 for the distiller,
and if it doesn't burn up then you'll have a nice little water distiller.

I have one of these little distillers, and I use it every day for
distilling water.  It's the only way I can make the lousy, chloramine
laden St. Petersburg tap water fit to drink.

AP