Hello Dermot

>Hi Keith,
>
>I'd like to address some of the points you raised in your reply to me on
>Oct 2nd.
>
>Before we start it may be useful to stress the views we probably have in
>common and hopefully that the rest of the list have in common as well.
>
>1. Modern intensive farming is unsustainable and is unnecessarily cruel
>to a wide variety of animals.
>
>2. To combat this cruelty we should boycott the produce of intensively
>farmed animals thereby forcing farmers to adopt more sustainable and
>cruelty free methods of farming.
>
>3. We should eat only free range meat or dairy produce.
>
>If this could be achieved I believe 90% of the suffering that is
>inflicted on animals would be eradicated.

Regarding #2, "intensively farmed" is not a clear enough description.
Sustainable food-production methods can also be very intensive, such
as Ken Hargesheimer's "mini-farming" or John Jeavons's "Biointensive"
method, or Chinese-type farming methods. Industrialised or
concentrated are better terms, or perhaps fossil-fuel farming, since
that's what it truly is.

Nor does such a narrowly focused boycott make much sense, at least on
its own. You should also boycott the produce of industrially grown
plants. Though the two are separated in practice (a large part of the
problem) they're absolutely part of the same phenomenon, along with
the entire food processing and distribution system. You make a
mistake by separating animal production as the focus for special
attack.

>There are a number of points which I disagree with you on, the chief
>among them being that animal inputs are necessary for sustainable
>agriculture.

Sure.

>I know you don't accept that there is such a thing as sustainable
>farming without animals but the Vegan Organic Trust in Britain is an
>organisation that is dedicated to the promotion of stockfree, organic,
>sustainable farming.

Yes I know. I'm unimpressed, I'm afraid. They make the same mistake
you do below, that it all remains to be proved, but it ain't so. The
burden of proof is on them, but they can't prove it, for the reasons
you explain. Same with your previous examples (further below).

>They are not some crackpot type of organisation that have vague
>aspirations about veganism.

I know that too.

>Their certification process for declaring
>farms to be truly organic, stockfree and sustainable is carried out by
>the SOIL ASSOCIATION'S certifying body. As you are no doubt aware the
>SOIL ASSOCIATION has an international reputation second to none and I
>have faith in their integrity.

I first worked with the Soil Association more than 20 years ago and I
know their work from their founding. I wouldn't say they're "second
to none", nobody is. I'm afraid I'm not impressed by organic
certification.

>There is no way of proving that an agricultural system is sustainable.

Yes there is.

>Sustainable means, by definition, that it can go on forever and it is
>obviously impossible to test that.

It's not impossible. You can philosophise about what "forever" means,
but it's demonstrable in practical terms.

>All we can say is that one system is
>more likely to be sustainable than another one. So I don't agree with
>your claim to have proved that animal farming systems are sustainable.

I didn't claim to have proved it.

>On the other hand, it is possible to prove that a given agricultural
>system is unsustainable, if you can show that it uses up one or more of
>the earth's resources faster than they are being replaced. So your claim

Not MY claim! By now you should have gathered at least that this has
been established not only through the long cumulative experience of
human societies (below) but also by a large body of scientific work
conducted by many distinguished scientists and investigators working
in many different places and conditions. On the ground work, with
real farms, replicable, not just laboratory-hermit stuff.

>to have proved that stockless farming is unsustainable could in
>principle be true, but I trust an organisation such as the SOIL
>ASSOCIATION when they say it can be sustainable.

They have no evidence of that, and it is a relatively new claim on
their part. All their earlier work was with mixed farming organic
systems. Please don't ask me to criticise some of the Soil
Association's more recent work, I can but I don't want to.

>It is true that mixed farming was the dominant form of agriculture for
>centuries, if not millennia, but this does not in itself prove that it
>is sustainable.

There are traditional farming systems that have proved to be
sustainable, very many of them. It's easily established, it's not
hard to get indicators of the general levels of fertility,
nutritional status and health (lit. "wholeness") of the "soil
community" of which the system is a part. (If it's not an integral
part of a soil community it won't be sustainable and indeed it won't
be there anymore.) If the system is old (many generations) and the
levels are high, that's really all you need to know.

It's very difficult or impossible to do this work now because
virtually all these systems are affected to a lesser or greater
degree by distorting influences from beyond the soil community mainly
during the last 50 years or so.

However, the work can be said to have been done satisfactorily before
that became the case. Of course it wasn't completed, how could it
ever be, but it was firmly established.

I know you won't like this, but you're just not qualified to discuss
this subject fully unless you've read the work of Weston A. Price.
See:

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#price

Unfortunately the book is no longer online. Darryl McMahon has been
helping me prepare it for uploading at the Journey to Forever
website, but it goes slowly (mea culpa).  Meanwhile there's a lot
available via that link that you can read, and you should try to find
a second-hand copy of the book.

There's much more, but Price is the place to start. More would be
Howard's "Agricultural Testament", Wrench's "Wheel of Health",
Cleave, McCarrison's work. You can find it all at the Small Farms
Library. I've referred you to this before, but it seems you didn't go
any closer than you had to in order to find a reason not to look any
further.

>A number of agricultural practices, such as ploughing,
>were carried on for a very long time but have now been shown to be
>unsustainable.

Ploughing is not in itself unsustainable, it depends how you do it.
There's certainly such a thing as sustainable ploughing. You choose a
poor example. Growing rice in rice paddies is unsustainable, much
better example.

>It is also possible that a given system could be
>sustainable at a certain human population size and unsustainable at a
>greater population.
>
>In our last exchange you recommended Sally Fallon's site.
>www.westonaprice.org
>
>I visited this site as you recommended and was immediately drawn to the
>"Myths and Truths About Vegetarianism" section.
>My reaction on reading this was that this site had no credibility.

:-) You don't surprise me Dermot.

Sorry, we stop right here. Read Price's book, do some more studying.
I told you before:

> >It's not up to me to prove anything, already done that,
> >it's up to you to disprove it, and I think you have some studying to
> >do.

Studying, not just defending your position.

Underneath it all over the months seems to be a focus on this:

>My point is that IF we can tolerate this diet that we should
>because it is unethical to kill sentient creatures for no good reason.
>ANIMALS HAVE RIGHTS. Just because they are dumb doesn't mean we can
>deprive them of a happy existance because they happen to taste nice.

You haven't really responded to what people have said about that.
Your main concern seems to be with what's sentient and what's not.
It's unethical to kill ANYTHING for no good reason, unethical and not
sustainable.

Your view isn't wholistic, though you think it is. You're
compartmenting living things into cubicles of your own devising. Life
doesn't work like that. It's biodiverse. The more biodiverse it is
the better for all. Everything is connected to everything else, there
are no false divisions such as yours between plants and animals,
there are grey areas. The pasture animal is a composite creature,
grasses, livestock, soil bugs, fungi, worms, the blue flies that lay
eggs in the fresh cowdung, their maggots that accomplish the first
stage of recycling the manure, the magpies that peck the readied
cowpat to bits two weeks later and scatter it all over the field in
their quest for the maggots - which of them is sentient and must be
protected, and which not? What a meaningless question. If you're
looking for an independent unit you'll have to settle for the soil
community itself, and that's not so easy either (though it'd be a
Good Idea!). It's inclusive, not exclusive, both-and, not either-or.
Cutting the biodiversity of a farming system soil community in half
for the sake of what boils down (again! sorry!) to a squeamishness
that's not very soundly based is unlikely to be the true path to the
sustainability of anything, not even delusion.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan