On 11/30/05, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings Ken
>
> That was a real pleasure to read, thankyou.

You're quite welcome.

> Your "food shed", that's great! Footprints and food sheds.

I wish I had coined the term but, my best buddy uses the phrase
regularly and I'm pretty sure that he stole it from one or another
writer.

A few months back I stumbled across the article below in the archives.
 Looks like Doug Woodward first posted it.  I found it to be very
interesting and figure that it might be a good time for it to get
another look.  Based solely on this article I really don't see
anything that precludes animal free organic farming from being
sustainable.  It appears to point to both organic farming with and
without animals as being sustainable.  In my opinion, it clearly shows
advantages of organic farming both with or without animals.  But you
all can be the judge of that.

The Institute of Science in Society: Science Society
Sustainability
http://www.i-sis.org.uk

General Enquiries  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website/Mailing List  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ISIS Director  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This article can be found on the I-SIS website at
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/OBCA.php

ISIS Press Release 12/09/05

Organic Agriculture Enters Mainstream
******************************

Organic Yields on Par with Conventional and Ahead During
Drought Years

But by far the greatest gains are due to savings on damages
to public health and the environment estimated at more than
US$59 billion a year Dr. Mae-Wan Ho puts the nail on the
coffin on industrial agriculture

A fully referenced version of this article is posted on ISIS
members' website http://www.i-sis.org.uk/full/OBCAFull.php.
Details here http://www.i-sis.org.uk/membership.php

Myths die hard

Scientists who should know better - if only they had kept up
with the literature - continue to tell the world that
organic agriculture invariably means lower yields,
especially compared to industrial high input agriculture,
even when this has long been proven false (see for example,
"Organic agriculture fights back" SiS 16 [1];
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/isisnews/sis16.php
"Organic production works", SiS 25 [2]).
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/isisnews/sis25.php

Researchers led by David Pimenthal, ecologist and
agricultural scientist at Cornell University, New York, have
now reviewed data from long-term field investigations and
confirmed that organic yields are no different from
conventional under normal growing conditions, but that they
are far ahead during drought years [3]. The reasons are well
known: organic soils have greater capacity to retain water
as well as nutrients such as nitrogen.

Organic soils are also more efficient carbon sinks, and
organic management saves on fossil fuel, both of which are
important for mitigating global warming.

But by far the greatest gains are in savings on externalised
costs associated with conventional industrial farming, which
are estimated to exceed 25 percent of the total market value
of United States' agricultural output.

Long-term field trials at Rodale Institute

>From 1981 through 2002, field investigations were conducted
at Rodale Institute in Kutztown, Pennsylvania on 6.1 ha.
Three different cropping systems: conventional, animal
manure and legume-based organic, and legume-based organic.
Plots (18 x 92 m) were split into three (6 x 92 m) subplots,
which are large enough for farm-scale equipment to be used
for operations and harvesting. The main plots were separated
with a 1.5 m grass strip to minimize cross movement of soil,
fertilizers, and pesticides. Each of the three cropping
systems was replicated eight times.

The conventional system based on synthetic fertilizer and
herbicide use, represented a typical cash-grain 5-year crop
rotation (corn, corn, soybeans, corn, soybeans) that
reflects commercial conventional operations in the region
and throughout the Midwest. According to USDA 2003 data,
there are more than 40 million ha in this production system
in North America. Crop residues were left on the surface of
the land to conserve soil and water; but no cover crops were
used during the non-growing season.

The organic animal-based cropping represented a typical
livestock operation in which grain crops were grown for
animal feed, not cash sale. This rotation was more complex:
corn, soybeans, corn silage, wheat, and red clover-alfalfa
hay, as well as a rye cover crop before corn silage and
soybeans. Aged cattle manure served as the nitrogen source
and applied at 5.6 tonnes per ha (dry), 2 years out of every
5 immediately before ploughing the soil for corn. Additional
nitrogen was supplied by the plough-down of legume-hay
crops. The total nitrogen applied per ha was about 40
kilograms per year or 198 kg per ha for any given year with
a corn crop. Weed control relied on mechanical cultivation,
weed-suppressing crop rotations, and relay cropping, in
which one crop acted as living mulch for another.

The organic legume-based cropping represented a cash grain
operation without livestock. The rotation system included
hairy vetch (winter cover crop used as green manure), corn,
rye (winter cover crop), soybeans, and winter wheat. The
total nitrogen added to this system per ha per year averaged
49 kg (or 140 kg per ha) per year with a corn crop). Both
organic systems included a small grain, such as wheat, grown
alone or inter-seeded with a legume. Weed control was
similar in both organic systems.

Yields no different except under drought conditions

For the first five years of the experiment (1981-1985), the
yields of corn grain averaged

4 222, 4 743 and 5 903kg per ha for organic-animal, organic-
legume, and conventional systems. After this transition
period, corn grain yields were similar for all systems: 6
431,

6 368, and 6 553 kg per ha. Overall, soybean yields from
1981 through 2001 were 2 461,

2 235 and 2 546 kg per ha; the lower yield of organic legume
system is attributed to the failure of the soybean crop in
1988, when climate conditions were too dry to support relay
intercropping of barley and soybeans. If 1988 is taken out
of the analysis, soybean yields are similar for all systems.

The 10-year period from 1988-1998 included 5 years in which
the total rainfall from April to August was less than 350 mm
(compared with 500mm in average years). Average corn yields
in those dry years were significantly higher (28 percent to
34 percent) in the two organic systems: 6938 and 7235kg per
ha in organic-animal and organic-legume systems compared
with 5333 kg per ha in the conventional system.

During the extreme drought of 1999 (total rainfall between
April and August only 224mm), the organic animals system had
significantly higher corn yields (1511 kg per ha) than
either the organic legume (421 kgper ha) or the conventional
(1100kg per ha). Crop yield in the organic legume were much
lower in 1999 because the high biomass of the hairy vetch
winter cover crop used up a large amount of the soil water.
During the 1999 drought soybean yields were 1400, 1800 and
900 kg per ha for organic animal, organic-legume and
conventional.

Other advantages of organic systems

Over a 12-year period, water volumes percolating through
each system were 20 percent and 15 percent higher in the
organic-animal and organic legume systems than in
conventional. During the growing season in 1995, 1996, 1998
and 1999, soil water content was significantly higher in the
soil farmed using the organic legume system than in the
conventional system, accounting for the much higher soybean
yields in the organic legume system in 1999.

About 5.2 million kilocalories of energy per ha were
invested in the production of corn in the conventional
system. Energy inputs for the organic animal and organic
legume systems were 28 percent and 32 percent less. The
energy inputs for soybean production in the organic-animal,
organic legume and conventional systems were similar at 2.3
mkcal, 2.3 mkcal, and 2.1 mkcal respectively.

Economic comparison of the organic corn-soybean rotation
with conventional corn-soybean systems from 1991-2000 showed
that without price premiums for the organic rotation, the
annual net returns for both were similar:$184 per ha for
conventional, $176 per ha for organic legume (Table 1).

[Plain text versions of this press release do not contain
table 1, please see http://www.i-sis.org.uk/OBCA.php for
this information]

Soil carbon at start (1981) was not different between the
three systems. In 2002, however, soil carbon levels in the
organic animal and organic legume systems were 2.5 percent
and 2.4 percent versus 2.0 percent in the conventional. The
annual net aboveground carbon input (based on plant biomass
and manure) was the same in organic legume system and
conventional system (~9 000kg per ha), but about 10 000 kg
per ha in organic animal system. However, the two organic
systems sequester more of that carbon in the soil, resulting
in an annual soil carbon increase of 981 and 574 kg in the
organic animal and organic legume systems, compared with
only 293 kg per ha in the conventional systems (calculated
on the basis of about 4 million kg per ha of soil in the top
30cm.). Total soil carbon increase after 22 years was: 27.9
percent, 15.1 percent and 8.6 percent in organic animal,
organic legume and conventional systems.

Soil nitrogen levels started at 0.31 percent in 1981. By
2002, the conventional system remained unchanged, while
organic animal had increased to 0.35 percent and organic
legume system to 0.33 percent. Using 15N to measure
retention of N in soil it was estimated that 47 percent, 38
percent and 17 percent respectively of the nitrogen from
organic animal, organic legume and conventional was retained
in the soil each year after application. This matched the
decreased amount leached from the organic soils.

Four herbicides were applied in the conventional system:
atrazine (to corn), pendimethalin (corn), metolachlor (corn
and soybeans) and metribuzin (soybeans). From 2001 to 2003,
only atrazine and metolachlor were detected in water
leachates collected from conventional systems at levels in
excess of 3 parts per billion, exceeding maximum contaminant
level set by US EPA for atrazine (no level has been set for
metolachlor).

Soils farmed with the two organic systems had greater
populations of spores of the beneficial Arbuscular
mycorrhizal fungi, shown to enhance disease resistance,
improve water relations and increase soil aggregation.

Large amounts of biomass (soil organic matter) are expected
to significantly increase soil biodiversity. Microarthropods
and earthworms were reported to be twice as abundant in
organic versus conventional agricultural systems in Denmark.
Earthworms and insects create holes in the soil that
increase the percolation of water into the soil and decrease
runoff.

Labour requirements

Each system was allowed 250 "free" family labour per month;
while the cost of hired labour was $13 per hour. With
organic farming system, the farmer was busy throughout the
summer with the wheat crop, hairy vetch cover crop, and
mechanical week control but worked less than 250 hours per
month). In contrast, the conventional farmer had large
labour requirements in the spring and fall, plating and
harvesting, but little in the summer months.

Increase in labour input may range from 7 percent to a high
of 75 percent in organic compared to conventional systems.
But in situations where human labour is not in short supply,
this too can be an advantage of organic agriculture in
creating employment.

The externalised costs of conventional agriculture not taken
into account

By far the biggest gains from organic agriculture arise from
the savings on the damages to public health and the
environment due to the use of agrochemicals in conventional
agriculture.

The National Organic Standards Program in the United States
prohibits the use of synthetic chemicals, GMOs and sewage
sludge in organically certified production.

As Pimenthal points out [3], the estimated environmental and
healthcare costs of pesticide use at recommended levels in
the US is about 12 billion every year. According to the
National Research Council [3], the cost of excessive
fertilizer use is $2.5 billion per year, while the estimated
annual costs of public and environmental health losses
related to soil erosion greater than $45 billion [5].

The total externalised cost of conventional agriculture per
year is $59.5 billion. This represents 27.4 percent of the
entire agricultural output ($217.2 billion in 2002 [6]).