I would concur with you on point number three.  Right from my first test
batch with 1 liter of new oil I noticed that the BD at the end of
washing is cloudy and I heated it with a stainless immersion (rod)
heater (in a 2 liter flask) and little drops of water would form at the
heater and drop out.  Now I do everything in the reactor and after the
last wash I heat the whole thing again to 50 degrees C and some liquid
water can be drained out.  Then I evacuate the reactor until I get to
28" Hg and the BD comes out crystal clear and ready for use. It remains
clear upon cooling. What I find in the liquid trap, ahead of my vacuum
pump, appears to be water. I haven't tasted it ;-)

Pics of my stuff are here:

http://www.nonprofitfuel.ca/Reactor.html

Joe