Well, over here in the US (at least in Colorado) insurance doesn't
even ask if the vehical runs or is roadworthy.  To get it licensed,
you have to have the emissions tested in metropolitan areas, but in
most of the western states, not brakes or headlights, etc..  Some
places do inspect those.  I did run into problems when trying to
insure a bus that I chopped the top off of and welded a higher roof
onto to turn it into a house, but it was only due to them calling it a
bus, and me calling it an RV.  Are they worried that somehow running
biodiesel could increase the risk of an accident?  Or are they worried
about it damaging the vehical?

But back to the heated filter.  I know very few people using biodiesel
who have actually done anything to their vehicals (other than changing
old rubber fuel lines).    I've run B-100 down to about 20F, and B20
down to as cold as my truck will start: 5F or so.  If you want to run
B100 through the winter a heated filter would be nice.  But in my
experience most people just switch to a blend of biodiesel and #2
diesel when it gets cold instead.

I am putting heated filters on my vehicals, because I want to run SVO.
 If I was going to stick with biodiesel, I don't know if I would
bother or not.

Zeke