On Jan 2, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Logan Vilas wrote:

> In the better Titration Method I find it's easier to mix my stock
> solution
> with 20grams in 500milliters distilled water.

OK -- we now have 4% NaOH soln.

> That gives .4% w/v lye solution when 5ml is added to 45ml distilled
> water.

Yes, if you add 5ml of your 4% soln. to 45ml of water, you get a
0.4% solution. This is still 4 times the concentration that everyone
else uses.

> By doing this I do not have to divide the titration results.

I don't understand what you mean by this. When using a 0.1% soln.,
the number of milliliters of soln. needed to neutralize 1ml of oil is
equal to the number of grams NaOH which must be added to the
usual 3.5g per liter of oil. With your 4X solution, you will achieve
neutrality at only 1/4 as many milliliters of solution, and thus will
need to multiply by four to calculate the proper excess of NaOH.

> I haven't had any problems yet, but I was wondering if anyone
> would know of a reason I shouldn't do it?

As long as you make the proper multiplication by four, your solution
will work fine.

> Or if there is anyone using this method?

I can't see why anyone would.

-K