Hello Joe

Pardon the snip...

<snip>

>I found that my success depended a lot on how careful I was with the
>titration step.  Also I found that when the 0.1% base solution was
>added there was a tendancy for some oil to drop out and I think this
>affected my accuracy.  I built a stirrer to keep the liquid in the
>test tube very well agitated during the titration and this helped a
>lot as I could tell by the consistency when I repeated the titration
>several times. If you want a description of how to make a very low
>cost titration kit check my website
>at >http://www.nonprofitfuel.ca/Titrator.html

I'm sure it works well, but what puzzles me, and puzzled me when you
first discussed this, is the test tube. Before you made your kit you
were shaking it to agitate it, no? I suppose there's not much else
you can do if you're using a test tube. Why not use something that's
shaped right so you can stir it properly? If you don't have a
suitable beaker an ordinary glass tumbler will do. We get a bit
fancy, we use fine crystal glasses, rescued along with much else from
Tokyo's "gomi" (rubbish) on its way to Tokyo Bay. They're about 1.5"
wide at the bottom and about 4" tall, strong but thin glass so it
warms up quickly when you stand it in hot water, and with a thick
bottom so it retains the heat well. Easy to stir with a chopstick, no
problem at all, no need for anything complicated.

Best

Keith

<snip>