Saw that article back in November.  I've never had trouble, or heard
of trouble with algae in biodiesel.  I wonder if it was growing in the
tank on the vehical, or grew in the supplier's tank.  I'm a little
confused how algae could grow in darkness anyway -- unless they had
the translucent poly tanks, in which case I can understand it.

Also, both cases mentioned have happened in the winter in cold
climates.  Compounded by some gelling perhaps?