Hey Bob;

Thanks for the info.  I assume this is for virgin oil.  What do you suppose happens after the oil sits in a deep fryer for a few days at high temperature.  I know the free fatty acid content increases and there is an obvious darkening and the inclusion of particulate matter.  What do you suppose is the overall effect on density?  As I posted previously I tried to measure it and got about 0.92 and this seems high according to your information especially since I was a few degrees above the 15 deg C temperature that the hydrometer (hygrometer? sp?) was calibrated for.  Could this explain the discrepancy?

Joe

bob allen wrote:
google canola density:

http://www.canola-council.org/Chemical1-6/Chemical1-6_1.html

The relative density of canola oil was first reported by Ackman and Eaton in 1977 and later
confirmed by Vadke et al. (1988) and Lang et al. (1992). Noureddini et al. (1992) reported a density
for high erucic acid rapeseed oil of 0.9073 g/cm3  while Appelqvist & Ohlson (1972) reported a range
from 0.906 g/cm3  to 0.914 g/cm3.  Ackman and Eaton (1977) indicated that a different proportion of
eicosenoic (C20:1) and C18 polyunsaturated acids could be a major factor for the increase in
relative density of canola oil. The higher specific gravity of 0.9193 g/cm3  observed for soybean
oil can be attributed to the higher content of linoleic acid (Ackman and Eaton,  1977). As for other
liquids,  the density of vegetable oils is temperature dependent and decreases in value when
temperature increases

R Heron wrote:

Hi every body this my first post to biofuel but I can say I am enjoying
what most of you have to offer.
Can anyone tell me what the weight of canola oil is? any size measure as
long as its .00 actuate.
Russel