Do not forget the difference between hacker and cracker. The news would
have us all think that all hackers==crackers but that
simply is not true. The term Hacker first meant a person to did there
own computer work (more or less but absolutely with no
crime) and crackers were hackers who also did criminal acts. Pirates are
of a totally different breed then hackers or crackers.
They are thief plain and simple. I agree that the current media
distribution model/method is very outdated, that does not mean
taking something that you did not pay for is not theft. Same goes for a
individual that phishes you and you hand over you CC.
They are a Phisher, they might be a hacker (no crime related to hacking)
and most likely a cracker (cloning that CC# onto a
existing card). The EFF will uphold the rights of the `net so long as
the net HAS those rights. If your ISP changed its business
model to one like that of the power or water companies (base bill of $19
for my commercial building, .0859/KwH) then you have
to pay it or stop being there customer. Is your town like a lot of
America with just 1 DSL and 1 Cable provider? Dialup is not
even a option really as it would go purely by hourly use as it has been
trying for years . Satellite? 3000ms latency will sure let you
do VoIP and Gaming. Lets not forget they are already use based and drop
your speeds to 28.8 up and down after you pass your
allotment. Fixed terrestrial wireless is the only option that is cheap
and fast enough to deploy. Fiber is nice but is going to be owned
99% by the larger Telco's. It is becoming easier and easier for
companies to steal others intellectual property. I think that companies
should get rights to there IP for 10 years then it becomes public
domain. This would keep people thinking of new ideas and let the
mass market production machine kick in with real products instead of
fakes (this also means we have stiff penalties for those making
fakes). Its like the EPA laws, a company can dump waste and save
$5,000,000 and gets fined $25,000 for doing it! The companies
who do this need to have 100% of there income removed, all debts paid
and all management put out on the street with not a penny.

Jeromie Reeves