>http://www.archive.org/details/snowshoefilms_MikeRuppert_911PeakOilan
>dtheWindowofOpportunity

http://www.prwatch.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2230&postcount=4
December 13th, 2002, 03:13 AM     #4

Sheldon Rampton

PR Watch Editor

If you haven't heard about Michael Ruppert, maybe I shouldn't have
mentioned him  ...but then again, you would have probably come across
him eventually anyway.

Some of the information that he circulates is valid, but the valid
information is stuff that Ruppert has merely borrowed from someone
else, and it's mixed with so much absolute bullshit that it's not
worth trying to sort out which is which. Here, for example, is the
URL to a statement from Michael Ruppert which he describes as his
"Opening Remarks ... for the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence":
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ciadrugs/ssci.html

Actually, Ruppert's remarks were never presented to the Senate Select
Committee, because the committee wasn't interested in having him
testify, but I've seen web sites where Ruppert's admirers manage to
miss this point. His testimony is long and rambling, but if you read
it you'll get some sense of what a whack job he is. If you believe
his story, he must be the Zelig of sinister global conspiracies. He
pops up everywhere. He claims that he was working in LAPD when he got
involved with a woman named Teddy who was also a CIA agent, a friend
of a niece of the Shah of Iran, and an acquaintance of people ranging
from narcotics investigators to members of different crime families.
Through his on-again, off-again relationship with Teddy, he became
aware that the CIA had long-term assets planted as deep cover agents
within the LAPD, where they were busily engaged in nefarious
arms-and-drugs transactions. Ruppert's woman friend dished all sorts
of dirt about this to him and he got promoted to work as some kind of
inside collaborator in their schemes. There was also some sort of $45
million dollar real estate deal involving Ruppert and his mother.
Then, for reasons that Ruppert doesn't bother to explain, the cabal
turned against him, subjecting him to "five months of surveillance,
harassing phone calls and ultimately 'black bag' burglaries of my
home and car in which photographs of Teddy and my off duty weapon
were taken." He doesn't explain why anyone would want to take
photographs of his woman and his weapon, and it's hard to understand
why they would want to harass him, since according to his own
account, at that point he was happily working as a collaborator in
their alleged conspiracy.

At about this point, also for no particular reason, Teddy moves to
New Orleans and Ruppert follows her there, where he encounters still
more nefarious dealings of an equally vague nature. Teddy is
apparently involved in the Iran/Contra conspiracy, and Ruppert finds
himself examining strange James Bond-like surveillance and encryption
technologies and hanging out in bars with members of the CIA. Once
again, they switch suddenly and mysteriously from chatting him up
over beers to harassing him. "Outside a bar in Terrytown, shots were
fired as Teddy and I walked to my car," Ruppert writes. "The shots
struck the pavement a few feet from us. This was the first time I was
shot at." (Mysterious gunfire is a recurring theme in his story. The
global conspirators may be sinister, but evidently they are not very
good shots.)

Ruppert then breaks up with Teddy and moves back to Los Angeles,
where he simultaneously gets high marks for his police work and
incurs further persecutions, including a "second round of burglaries,
harassments and surveillance" that "culminated in a death threat." He
resigns from his job and is "labeled crazy by both the LAPD and the
FBI. ... Desperate for money I took a job as a 7-11 store clerk. Two
hours into my second shift I was arrested for selling liquor to a
minor in what I am sure, to this day, was a set-up. Under enormous
stress I got drunk one night and collapsed on my front lawn. A shot
barked in the distance and stuck the grass inches from my head. This
was the second time I was shot at. ... My car was repossessed shortly
thereafter. I filed bankruptcy in December, 1980." Shortly thereafter
Ruppert has a conversation in the West Wing of the White House with
his old buddy Craig Fuller, assistant to President Reagan, in which
Ruppert tells Fuller that the CIA is dealing drugs, and Fuller
casually admits it, as does a UCLA professor of political science who
is also a CIA and State Department consultant. Other people also tell
him the same thing: unnamed members of the Kerry Committee, Ross
Perot, insurance executives, and "more than a dozen former U.S. Army
Special Forces troops, Navy Seals, a half dozen former CIA officers
and many DEA agents and former federal law enforcement officers who
have confirmed that CIA deals drugs." For covert operatives, these
guys sure turn into blabbermouths whenever they bump into Michael
Ruppert.

But wait, it gets better. Here's the URL to another Ruppert article,
co-authored with Michael Davidson, regarding the allegedly suspicious
deaths of a number of microbiologists:
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/02_14_02_microbio.html

According to Ruppert, the deaths of these microbiologists (none of
whom worked together, and whose deaths occurred in places as diverse
as Miami, Moscow, Memphis, Denver, Australia and England) "adds
credibility" to the idea that "legitimate scientists and academics"
are having "serious discussions ... on the possible necessity of
reducing the world's population by more than four billion people."
Evidently we are supposed to believe that these scientists (whose
causes of death included stroke, suicide, homicide, a car crash, a
plane crash and a lab accident) were murdered to cover up some sort
of X Files conspiracy to eliminate more than half the world's
population. Maybe it's just me, but I find this all rather
implausible, especially since the criminal masterminds who engineered
all these assassinations have previously proven themselves incapable
of aiming a gun well enough to kill Ruppert while he lay passed out
drunk on his front lawn.

To thicken the plot still further, Ruppert insinuates that the
scientists were targeted for assassination using PROMIS software,
which allegedly (1) was stolen and sold on the black market to Osama
Bin Laden, giving him the ability to tap into FBI databases; and (2)
"has reportedly been mated in recent years with artificial
intelligence. PROMIS has long been known to have been modified by
intelligence agencies with a back door that allows for surreptitious
retrieval of stored data. ... It is a possibility that the software,
by tapping into databases used by each of the victims, could have
identified any lines of research that threatened to compromise a
larger, and as yet unidentified, more sinister covert operation."

Ruppert passes on this stuff without bothering to explain how any of
the pieces fit together. He doesn't explain how PROMIS works, let
alone how we know it has been "mated with artificial intelligence."
(How do computer programs "mate" anyway? Is there a courtship period,
or do they just get drunk and screw?) What basis is there, other than
Ruppert's fertile imagination, for suggesting that this software
might have tapped into databases used by the "victims"? And if the
"covert operation" is "as yet unidentified," how do we know that it
is "sinister," or even that it exists at all?

Ruppert also draws some of his material from the website of Jeff
Rense (http://www.rense.com), which explores topics including UFOs,
the paranormal, secret weapons, spies, crop circles, and something I
hadn't heard of previously called a "chupacabra" -- a half-man,
half-beast that roams the Puerto Rican countryside, sucking the blood
of farm animals. (I swear I'm not making this up.)

My take on Ruppert is that he's some kind of mentally unstable
opportunist who has managed to become rather successful at
intertwining his personal paranoid fantasies with legitimate concerns
that other people have raised about the motives and actions of the
U.S. government. I can understand why some of his writings seem
interesting on first reading, and when I first came across one of his
pieces I took it seriously enough to try and independently verify its
accuracy. When I did so, however, I found that Ruppert's "facts" fall
into two categories:

(1) facts that are not original to Ruppert, because they come from
journalistic investigations performed by other people (such as Gary
Webb, who did some first-rate reporting into contra-CIA-cocaine links)

(2) facts that cannot be verified at all, because they are simply
false or they consist of wild leaps of conjecture for which there is
no independent supporting evidence

The unfortunate thing is that there are people out there who take
Ruppert seriously, including progressive activists. I think this is a
shame and can't help but discredit and further marginalize activists.
I'm not alone in this opinion, and it's rather interesting to see how
Ruppert's followers (who tend to like some of my own writing, because
it seems to confirm their paranoia) instantly turn hostile when I say
that I'm not buying his schtick. I'm not the only progressive who
gets this kind of treatment. Here, for example, is the URL to a web
site (recommended by Ruppert), alleging that "The Nation, FAIR,
Pacifica, Z Magazine, Noam Chomsky and many other 'liberal' icons are
influenced and/or controlled by big business and intelligence
interests":
http://www.questionsquestions.net/gatekeepers.html

For some further comments on Ruppert and the dangers of buying into
conspiracy theories, here are a couple of other web pages that you
might want to check out:

http://www.publiceye.org/b_conspi.html
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12536