First, it should be noted that, while relative costs can be informative,
it is difficult to compare the cost of bottled water to gasoline,
diesel, etc.  What would the water cost if you brought a 20 gallon tank
to the "water plant" and filled it?  What would gasoline cost if sold in
1 liter or 4 liter containers off the shelf?

Second:  Hybrid automobiles do not necessarily tout to "save" money.  It
is a system that uses less fuel/mile.  That's less pollution, CO2 etc.
The overall cost to operate may be less, or more than "conventional",
but shouldn't matter.  Those who can afford the up front costs should
use the technology.  (Give up their SUV for a hybrid?).  In the long
run, it is a valuable investment in our future.  Oh yeah, by the way,
You'll also run "lower" than average fuel costs in operation.  I'm sure
there is a pattern of use (long over road miles vs. short in-town
commuting) that will obtain maximum efficiency, and can yield the user
monetary benefit over conventional.  Those outside the curve may not get
the max benefit, but will benefit the world. Cost of battery
maintenance/life is an unknown.

A similar comparison is solar voltaic electric.  Costs now run
$25,000-$30,000 US to solar power a house.  Depending on where you live
the cost and % augmentation required will vary, obviously.  Payback is
probably 15-20 years.  Again, at first more wealthy can afford the
technology.  But as more and more is purchased and manufactured the cost
will come down, technology will improve, and by and by more will be able
to afford - until we see micro generation occurring at most houses.
Power plants will still be required to supplement, and for industry, but
a large percent can be produced this way.  Point is, that at first the
cost is almost unreachable for most, but further use will bring it in
for all, and for the betterment of the world.  If as much money were
subsidized into solar as they use for nuclear, coal (and the war) etc it
wouldn't be too long before we all had collectors on our houses.

Hakan,

    The price depends on volume purchased and it doesn't make much
sense.
Distilled water costs 60 cents to 1.50 for a gallon depending on brand.
1/2
liter bottled water costs 1 dollar, but at the same store I can buy 1
gallon
of the same brand for .80 cents. I just have to walk down the isle
instead
of grabing it at the checkout counter. Then you can buy filtered water
for
as cheap as 30 cents a gallon. At least that's the local grocery store
here
in Louisiana, USA

    So if you buy water by the 1/2 liter it is more expensive then gas,
but
gallon by gallon it's 1/3rd the price or cheaper.

Logan Vilas
Bio-Fuel Enterprises, Inc.