Hello Greg

>Even though it seemed like the newbie was being chastised,

Yes he was.

>I found the reply VERY usefull.

Well, he wasn't *only* being chastised... Glad you found it useful.

>It answered several questions that have come into my mind since I
>began this sojourn a couple of weeks ago. At the risk of also
>getting chewed, my question has to do with keeping the mixture up to
>temp while the reaction is going on. I am at the stage of setting up
>my small reactor to learn the process. I am looking around and
>wondering if I could use a hot water bath that is electrically
>heated? I want to do the small processes and develop my technique,
>but I would really rather not have to babysit the reaction
>constantly watching a thermometer. Any help appreciated.

The "Make your first test batch" section at the Journey to Forever
website refers to a mini-processor, which is here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor7.html
Test-batch mini-processor

It uses a hot-water bath. It says: "A crock-pot might do instead of a
spaghetti cooker and a portable gas ring. Our gas ring died so now we
use a hot-plate instead."

The hot-plate is electric and has a thermostat. With a bit of
practice it's easy to adjust it to the temperature you want to
maintain and it's quite reliable. The wonders of automation. This
set-up works well, we much prefer it to the gas-ring.

Actually with the old gas-ring it says: "The temperature only needs
adjustment twice in an hour at normal room temperature." With a
bigger processor it needs even less adjustment, even in this weather,
and even without insulating the tank. I've never bothered to fit a
thermostat to our 90-litre processor's heating element. I've never
left it on by mistake either, but that possibility would be the only
reason I might get a thermostat. I don't spend much time watching
thermometers though, in the meantime.

The gas-ring was junk anyway, free from the Tokyo gomi (trash), and I
don't think we paid anything for the hotplate, someone gave it to us
or it was here when we moved in or something. Maybe you could get one
at a second-hand store.

HTH

Best

Keith