Hello Tom

>Hello All,
>
>I think far too many people get their information from the boob
>tube. Very few people begin their discussion of the current war in
>Iraq with its starting point at around 1980.

Or 1920?

>I have talked with more than a few of my countrymen and many still
>think this is a war caused by Saddam Hussein´s insane attempt to
>use WMD´s against us and his links with international terror. Where
>did they get these ideas? I believe television mostly or one of the
>corporate media outlets. If the only news one gets is from these
>sources you cannot help from being’Ķ’Ķ. well brainwashed. I really
>wish there was another word for it. Misinformed is too weak.

Misled is stronger, disinformed stronger still, lied to stronger yet,
but none of that explains the denial and conscious rejection with
which they so often defend the lies they've been fed. So
"brainwashed" it has to be.

I think you're forgetting a major source of it though. As well as
from FauxTV, millions of them get it from the pulpit - God told them.
And if you disagree you must therefore be a creature of the Devil. Of
course Boy George gets it direct from God on his personal hotline.

We've had lots about this before. Here's some more:

'Interview with Kevin Phillips, longtime Republican strategist and
author of several books. His newest work, "American Theocracy," comes
out today. A review in Sunday's New York Times said the book may be
"the most alarming analysis of where we are and where we may be going
to have appeared in many years."'
Democracy Now! | Interview - Former GOP Strategist Kevin Phillips on
American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil,
and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century

There's also this, just in from US historian Howard Zinn:

"Now that most Americans no longer believe in the war, now that they
no longer trust Bush and his Administration, now that the evidence of
deception has become overwhelming (so overwhelming that even the
major media, always late, have begun to register indignation), we
might ask: How come so many people were so easily fooled?

"... It seems to me there are two reasons, which go deep into our
national culture, and which help explain the vulnerability of the
press and of the citizenry to outrageous lies whose consequences
bring death to tens of thousands of people. If we can understand
those reasons, we can guard ourselves better against being deceived.

"One is in the dimension of time, that is, an absence of historical
perspective. The other is in the dimension of space, that is, an
inability to think outside the boundaries of nationalism. We are
penned in by the arrogant idea that this country is the center of the
universe, exceptionally virtuous, admirable, superior.

"If we don't know history, then we are ready meat for carnivorous
politicians and the intellectuals and journalists who supply the
carving knives..."
-- America's Blinders
by Howard Zinn
Published on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 by the Progressive

 From Tom Feeley's offerings for the day:

They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality,
because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of
them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice
what was happening : George Orwell

The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed
by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even
hearing about them: George Orwell

Best

Keith