Apparently viewable at ctvstory.html

Jesse

Ontario first to subsidize solar electric power

Ontario has become Canada's first province to offer cash incentives for
homeowners or businesses that install solar electric power generators.
Premier Dalton McGuinty made the announcement Tuesday, which
environmentalists lauded as the way of the future.
"We're taking a bold, new step that will allow hundreds of small, local,
renewable energy producers to get into the energy market," McGuinty said at
a press conference in Cambridge, alongside Energy Minister Donna Cansfield.
"We're setting a fixed price or a standard offer for small, renewable energy
projects."
Under the program, the Ontario Power Authority will buy power produced by
wind farms and other renewable methods at 11 cents per kilowatt-hour.

The fixed price for solar energy will be 42 cents per kilowatt-hour, and all
the electricity generated will be sold to the local utility.
The province estimates the initiative, called the Standard Offer Program,
will add as much as 1,000 megawatts of renewable energy to Ontario's power
grid over the next 10 years.
That amount could power about 250,000 homes.
But setting up a solar-powered system may prove to be expensive for a
typical homeowner as it can cost between $20,000 and $30,000.
Selling back the power would generate about $1,500 a year for the homeowner
who would then buy their power from the utility at the current rate, which
is now less than six cents a kilowatt-hour.
It could take as long as 20 years to break even. However, the systems are
built to last 40 years or longer, which could mean plenty of time to profit
in the long run.
In 2004, the governing Liberals committed to generating five per cent, or
1,350 megawatts, of electricity through renewable sources by 2007.
"Encouraging communities to develop more renewable electricity, will help
clean up our air, create jobs and contribute to our long-term prosperity,"
McGuinty said in a statement.